Friday, March 25, 2011

The Difference A Year Makes

I was looking at some photos from last year and came across a few we took in late March.  Below is a photo that shows the 15th hole on March 24th 2010.  We had cleared the 15thgreen by this date last year, but as you can see the green surrounds are nearly completely clear of snow and the tees have only a few inches of snow cover left.  Tthe tees are in the foreground and the sides are starting to clear.  In fact most of the snow we had cleared around the green was nearly gone as well.



#15 March 24,  2010
 

#15 March 24, 2011

In the photo above you can see the difference a year makes.  The photo is of the #15 from the same location taken yesterday.   No turf can be seen.  The only commonality is the rock sticking out of the pond.   In fact one of the indicators I use for the first sign of spring are the bunkers on #15.  I also use the bunkers on #7, #10, and #5 greens.  These bunkers face directly into the sun and have less snow load than the rest of the golf course.  When we start to see these bunker faces starting to emerge, it usually means that the rest of the course will start to clear a few weeks later.  I am hoping this is not the case this year and we see a quicker melt. 

Skid Steer Stuck on #14

In terms of foreshadowing one’s own actions, in my last post I made reference to the challenges of moving snow on the golf course.  The day after I wrote that post, I discovered I should have heeded to my own words.  We had some challenges as we attempt to open up the cart paths to allow access to the golf course for spring work.

No comments:

Post a Comment